Friday, June 27, 2008

Seeking some Help

Michael and I have slowly been trying to decorate our little house. I've run out of budget friendly ideas for decorating our living room. Here's our color scheme: brick red, earthy sage green, taupe, and burnt orange.

Problem 1: There are too many red tones in the living room. I want to add more green some how.
Problem 2: The couch floats in the middle of the room, so I can't add any lamps because the cords would be exposed.

Problem 3: our fireplace is ginormous! The mantle is really skinny, so you can't set much on it. But mostly, it's just HUGE!

Question: How do I add color to that wall of the room with such a huge brick fireplace?

Question: What can I put behind the TV stand so that it doesn't look so awkward?


This picture (below) didn't turn out.. too much light coming through those windows. But that reminds me of a problem...

Problem 4: Our ceilings are pretty high and they are paneled with a reddish, orangish wood. Sometimes the room seems heavy.

Question: How can I lighten up the room and make it look like a young family lives here?

Let me know if you have any brilliant ideas. In a couple weeks, Momma Bruce is coming to visit and we will be shopping like crazy. That's my chance to really search for problem solving items.

Thanks in advance for your advice!!!


3 comments:

Brittany said...

So, I don't have a picture to explain, but I am working on getting one from my friend. I made her a birthday present about a month ago and it was CHEAP and CUTE and you can hang it on your wall, or sit it on your mantle.

I will try to explain. You get a nice long piece of foam board (michaels, joanns) then you can cut it into 12x12 pieces. I used my 40% off coupon to buy a styrofoam cutter($10 with coupon) to cut more clean pieces, but I am sure a knife will work too. You then paint the 12x12 pieces a solid color and then mod podge a piece of 12x12 scrapbook paper on top of it. It's light, manageable and cheap. I really wish I had the picture to show you. You can put them behind your TV, or wherever.

I'll post the pic of my blog once I get it from my friend. Hope that works for something anyway.

Megan said...

Brittany, I love that idea! What did you do to make sure the sides looked nice? I think I'll use your idea for a nice blank wall in our dining room, but I'm concerned that people will be able to see that the paper is attached to styrofoam board. I guess, I'm asking what you did to camouflaged (sp?) the edges?
Thanks for the great idea! I'm going to keep my eye out for the right paper now.

Nichole Bruce said...

My neighbor did Britts idea, but used actual canvas and then paited the sides so they weren't stark white.
I'm a painter, so I'd paint an accent wall--possibly a green (not to dark). Or If you have a nice texture (something other than orange peel), you could use a glaze. If I see anything, or have some other "inspiration" i'll let you know!